Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 3 12 5:36 AM

Tags : :

Northstar Miniatures has announced on their Facebook page that the WSS Artillery will be available soon! Whooooot. From what I've seen, the box will contain 

2x guns 
8 x gunners 
2x mounted officers 

Hey Jim...put me down for 4 boxes! 

Frank Frey

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 3 12 5:38 AM

Do we have pics of same? Because I am starting a new army for Warhammer and if these guns are suitable for a particular thing (smaller, "squad support" type guns, rather than larger artillery pieces) I would likely take a couple of boxes!

I am in ur base, killin ur doods Abraham is in Ur, contemplatin the will of God

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 4 12 1:45 PM

While I am happy about this news... As it will inspire me to really get moving on my WSS project (knowing I have access to all the pieces is inspiring)...

This is the second Wargames Factory release I have heard of being posted on third party sources prior to any release news from the Wargames Factory web site or forum.

Hope the sprues include bit enough to combine with the other sets to help use up some of the inevitable leftover bits to make some extra figures... But either way I can;t wait to see how these look and for their official release.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 4 12 2:16 PM

This is the second Wargames Factory release I have heard of being posted on third party sources prior to any release news from the Wargames Factory web site or forum.

-michael

At least you can be grateful it was not the Maelstrom site 

Any idea when we can get to see some sprue pics?

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 5 12 3:38 PM

I'll await sprue pic's before a full review, but...

2 Mounted Officers for only two guns, yet no limbers or draught horses or outriders?

Look carefully at the uniforms depicted on the box art and compere to pic's of WF's actual WSS Infantry here. The box art depicts 1680-1995 uniforms with lower pockets having the pocket flaps just above the hem. The existing WSS Infantry depicts the pockets higher, as would be appropriate for the period post 1695 into the next century. I'm not a button-counter, but there is a real difference between the uniform if modeled properly.

Just sayin...

Regards;

Bill Sir William the Aged www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 5 12 5:42 PM

Great, just great, need to roll another old lady to pay for another set or two of models. Its getting harder to mug old ladies cause in this day in age they are in better shape and put up a heck of a fight...

Looking forward to adding some artillery pieces to my hutch at work. Lets see some pictures of the sprues!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

bryon31

superstar

#11 [url]

Nov 6 12 6:12 AM

Great, just great, need to roll another old lady to pay for another set or two of models. Its getting harder to mug old ladies cause in this day in age they are in better shape and put up a heck of a fight...
Looking forward to adding some artillery pieces to my hutch at work. Lets see some pictures of the sprues!

-mudgunner

And in my case them old dames can out run me.

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#12 [url]

Nov 6 12 8:30 AM

Yay-Cannon.

I don't actually collect WSS but a few extra cannon for other era's and fantasy never came in wrong.

Carts, limbers etc would be most useful as well, but I can be patient.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 28 12 6:10 PM

Well the cannon kit is here.

Everything to complete a cannon, its crew, and a leader seems to be on one sprue.  Might have been better to offer a tad bit more variation seeing that it seems two sprues will be in each box.  Things like different poses, heads, that kind of thing, could have been helpful, yet this is what happens sometimes.  Both horses will also be the same, one as is and one standing still could be an improvement, but oh well.  Two different barrels is good, three would have been wonderful.  I'm surprised by the footmen's pocket positions, but guess one can get by with them.  And instead of making two sprues exactly the same, if there had been two different sprues, then some of these ideas could have happened effectively across them, and maybe even provided a limber and draft horse.

Better to have this kit than not, and so I am thankful and accept as is.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 28 12 7:30 PM

I think I see one tricorn hat on the sprue, worn by one of the mounted fellows in the picture of the constructed set.

I don't play WSS, but I am a consumer of cannon for other purposes, and these look good enough pass muster for those. I'll be picking up a couple boxes.

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#15 [url]

Nov 28 12 11:59 PM

2 Mounted Officers for only two guns, yet no limbers or draught horses or outriders?    The box art depicts 1680-1995 uniforms with lower pockets    The existing WSS Infantry depicts the pockets higher, as would be appropriate for the period post 1695  I'm not a button-counter, but there is a real difference between the uniform if modeled properly.-burlesonbill

I have to agree, I think 2 officers overseeing only 2 guns (granted we all know they're only a representation of entire battery), it still seems a bit of over kill. I think an outrider or messanger.. something else could have been thought up in place of just another officer.
As for the Limbers, to my experience, its not uncommon for them to be sold seperately. After all, in the horrible event the artillery were to fail to meet needed sales, why would any company then invest in the horse/limber set?

Bill, I certainly wont dispute your knowledge of history regarding this or any particular time period. And based on your previous posts I will gladly vouch for and agree you are "NOT" a 'button-counter' by any means. However.. (yep here it is) I think we 'all' need to remember the key here is "Generic".
I tend to look at 'generic' anything like selling a buffet. Your attempting to do your best to please the proverbial 'everybody', a next too if not an impossible task, with one item. And all things and the various miniature sets now offered by WF being considered, Im sure you'll agree they've done a pretty good job across the board. Just MHO.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

jack

fanatic

#16 [url]

Nov 29 12 2:21 AM

I think I see one tricorn hat on the sprue, worn by one of the mounted fellows in the picture of the constructed set.

-hootenanay

*Hootenanay,
Your right there is a tricorn on one of the officers. Overall these look pretty good. As for the heads I was curious and did a quick count, so per sprue it come out as.. 2 w round hats, 1 creased lt side, 1 creased front, 1 hatless and 1 w tricorn, but from what I can see, no extras.

"You see old friend, I brought more soldiers than you did." 'King Leonidas - 300'

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 29 12 6:33 AM

everyone,

Here is the link picture on our main web site. The WSS Artillery are now available for sale if you have not seen them yet:

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/horse-and-musket/war-of-spanish-succession-artillery# Just click on the sprue pictures below the box to view our newest release!

There are two officers so the guns can either be commanded separately or if both guns are used together you can use the second officer to command either an other WSS infantry or cavalry unit. We LOVE giving you choices!

The farther back in time you go, from a military standpoint, the more you see artillery being used by whoever was able to seize the guns last. Personally I call that 'spoils of war' vs generic. Therefore any artillery equipped army, during this time frame in particular, could be utilizing these artillery pieces, not just the Spanish.

Since we have very inexpensive horses available on our web site we focused on more figures to support the two guns, and added the powder barrels/cannon balls.

We believe this is a great value with numerous options for our customers.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. We spent a great deal of time researching this period.

We hope you all enjoy them very much!

Jim

Quote    Reply   

bryon31

superstar

#19 [url]

Nov 29 12 6:57 AM

I agree that the kit is a great value.  I don't mind the repeated poses.  I imagine the idea is that the kit is set up to compliment the other kits of the WSS range.  So a few duplicates isn't a big deal.  You can always borrow a different horse from your cavalry kit or heads from the infantry kit. I think the kit looks amazing. 

Quote    Reply   

potter

superstar

#20 [url]

Nov 29 12 10:26 AM

I think they look ace-another great set from WGF and ranges that get better and better.

Whilst don't game or collect WSS (I do do ECW though) and whilst I may not have any forces for this period, I could soon see myself buying a couple of boxes as the cannon and 'bits' can be used for so many other things.

I may even get a set for my own Imagined-nation.

Is there anything you can't combine with the Persian figs?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help