Remove this ad
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 2 09 11:53 PM

I'll be starting with Heinlein's description as a baseline, and building on that based upon actual ergonomics, as well as my original proposal's description.

This is going to be a real "no more Mr. Nice Guy" suit of powered armour... Mwahahaahaaa!!! >;D

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 3 09 12:37 AM

Something old from my portfolio waaaay back in the day, just to whet your appetite! Do note that the proposed powered armour suit ala SST will be much beefier than this skinny lil' fellow:

Click here to view the attachment

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 3 09 10:49 AM

Hmm?
When was this idea submitted? Cause this is alot like my idea I submitted on damn near day 1..... Except SST based mine was inspired by GOW.

Ive also noticed that some people have multiple ideas submitted....How can this happen while others cant get a single idea processed?

Also how are the submissions sorted through? Must be random because Ive seen 2 ideas (that I know of) that were submitted after mine (dare I say weeks?) that seemed to take days to make it through the process (Post Apocalyptic marauders for example)

Id really like to know......

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 3 09 11:15 AM

jp400,

for what it's worth, I had one of my submissions preempted by another TMP regular ("nycjadie" - who beat me to the frakkin' Ming Chinese infantry!). Considering the sheer volume of submissions that WF was hit with when they launched this little enterprise, I'm kinda surprised it didn't lead to mass suicide amongst those WF staff charged with trying to sort out the tangle! >;p

Another thing is that these submissions are indeed subjected to a vetting process, so I'd venture a guess that a number of annoying variables such as how the proposal was actually worded, and how that wording was interpreted by the WF staff, went a long way towards determining who made the list, and who fell by the wayside.

But to stay on topic, I'll be posting conceptual sketches for this project as we roll along, and welcome some input from fellow enthusiasts. While we're at the mercy of the WF crew's ability to (hopefully) bend the technology to our collective will, I am confident that the end result will simply ooze nuke-packin' menace in tribute to the original description given us by the dean of American military science fiction literature.

Cheers!

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 3 09 4:41 PM

"Operation Lil' Sis?!!!" We're DOOOOMED!!! >;D

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 3 09 8:36 PM

Tony..
If you recall (If not I have the emails saved and can copy paste em here for date reference) You asked me to reword the submission on 12/8/08 after it was sitting in que for over a week, and I did as you asked on the 9th. So the date of the 9th was the reworked submission that was requested, not the origional date of submission FYI.

At this point though its water under the bridge...

Also there is not really any point in haveing 2 "Power Armour" submissions up at the same time. All its going to do is hinder the other submission. I just hope in the future that when you ask someone to reword the submission that you remember that you did just that and dont forget about em, as im sure is what happened here.

Best Regards!
-Jp400

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 3 09 8:40 PM

Jp400,

if you'll recall your Heinlein, there were at least three (3) flavors of powered armour suit bouncing around Creation blowing things up!

There were the Marauders, which were the rank-and-file grunts, the command suits, and the scout suits.

My concept was from the word "Nuke 'em, Rico!" aimed at the rank-and-file "Marauder" type of suit. If your design is closer to a scout or command suit, all may not be lost... >;D

Just a thought... >;D

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 3 09 11:03 PM

OK, here's the first rough sketch of the concept. I worked strictly from memory here, and did not worry about any hardware on the back of the suit (yet). I pondered a number of design elements described in Heinlein's novel, and took a stab at incorporating them in the look of this suit.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 4 09 10:37 AM

Thank goodness for smaller shoulder pauldrons. I like it so far, and especially that first concept art. Very cool. The way I see it there is already a company that does bulky power-armor, why not try something a little more stream-lined?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jan 4 09 11:05 PM

The first suit would have gotten my money, this second one is a little too 1930 for my taste.
Good Luck Anyway.
 Daniel

-dafrca

Daniel,

well, I *did* specify I'd be starting with Heinlein's written description as a baseline, but keep in mind that this design is going to evolve a bit as we go along, and as I get feedback from fellow enthusiasts like you! >;D

Besides, "jp400's" design is apparently more techie looking, being inspired by a different source, so IMHO it bears watching for further developments!

Cheers!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 5 09 8:24 PM

Actually, thinking more and more about it, the retro is more ideal. There are quite a few futuristic power armored soldiers on the market in plastic, but none that I know of have a "past sci-fi" feel. Count me in.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 5 09 8:50 PM

My haypenny's worth. The first drawing to me seems busy, there is just so much going on. The second drawing looks like the Sontarans from Dr. Who.

The army is working on several "augmentations" for the future soilder. Exoskeletons, nano impregnated spandex, thought controled robots in backpacks, multi caliber assult rifles...etc. The bulky suits look like the terminator addons, while sleek outfits are like the GW Tau.
P.S. I am horrible at drawing people, so keep the are coming.

What's the good of owning a mace if you're not allowed to use it? -Sidney Bruhl "Deathtrap"

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 5 09 9:37 PM

Hmm,
I have a bunch of concept art that I did while waiting weeks for my Submission to pass. I wonder if I should post it here or wait to see what happens with mine or????? Hate to drag you off into a direction that you are not wanting to go.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 5 09 9:41 PM

jp400,

I personally welcome your input here, as I do anyone else's! If nothing else your vision(s) may trigger something to adapt to my own, which is a good thing. Worse, you risk the very same thing... >;D

You won't be stealing my thunder at all. >;D

Cheers!

Leland R. Erickson

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 5 09 9:50 PM

And another powered armour concept sketch in the lower left of the picture from the same series, a more organic bio-mechanical piece of alien technology supplied to human "janissaries" originally recruited from the various member tribes of the Sioux Nation no less(!!!!):

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 5 09 11:07 PM

Daniel,

well, I *did* specify I'd be starting with Heinlein's written description as a baseline, ......

-luoshangzhi

I understand. I guess it is just a case of us seeing different pictures in our minds eye when we read his stuff. The bell helmet with eye slit just does not do it for me. Feels like a divers suit or welders helmet of some sort.

Now the suit with the FAS-900 I like much better. Oh and thank you for resisting the urge to make those way over sized shoulder pads like so many of the SciFi miniatures seem to do.

Daniel

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help