Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jan 6 09 9:35 PM

This topic is also being discussed on TMP The Miniatures Page:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=158670

I ust confess I'm beginning ot lean towards evolving this suit design in an alternate direction, where the suit has alternate helmets, including a neckless look ala the classic SF3D model series from Japan, and a selection of assorted weapon systems that can be added to customize the look of the suit.

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jan 7 09 4:01 PM

there seems to plenty of armour but not much power. In a lot of the pictures the soldier seems to be carrying the weight himself. There should be some suggestion of how the suit provides assistance e.g. external pistons on the limbs. The suit would need a hefty power source and ammo storage.

Here are my idle thoughts about PA, I'd put some of that machinery in front and behind the torso, to protect the wearer and to keep the body narrow enough that the arms can move. I'd put a missile tube on one side at the back which would rest vertically and swivel over the shoulder to fire. In this picture there is fixed armour around the head with an opening (a sliding plate could seal it) and a close fitting helmet worn underneath, I did a view slit rather than eyeholes because I imagine there would need to be some space in front of the face for head up displays. The little lump on top is a pair of cameras to view the world with the face shield up.

If the suit is going to carry the weight of the weapons there is no need to hold them by a handle, if the weapon is attached to the arm the hand could be free to operate a key pad to control the suits functions, comms etc (that's supposed to be a key pad in his hand). I'm not suggesting that much detail be on the figure but the hand needn't hold the weapon. The armour around the hand would give some protection while still enabling dexterity. I have no idea how to model the ammo feeds to the magazine at the back. I'd have lots of little cameras so the pilot can see what the gun is pointing at.

If you are going to take huge rocket powered leaps you don't want to take the impact of landing into your feet so I'd say the feet would be thick, maybe hooves or separate ball and heel, with the human foot inside the suits leg, making the suit somewhat taller than a human.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jan 7 09 8:18 PM

Olaf,

nice suit! Very "walking tank" in appearance! You make good points about suit ergonomics..

For reasons of space on the sprue, not sure we can make this dude quite as bulky as you portray and still be in the 28mm range.... need to ponder this further... >;D

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jan 8 09 12:16 PM

Another concept sketch:

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 8 09 3:51 PM

Not a great artist but I picture the Mobile Infantry in something like this. The picture below is shown with an unarmoured human figure, so you can see how all the joints line etc. The enlarged head would force the opperator to hunch forward (as mentioned in the book) to place the larger part of the helmet in front of the shoulders, lower-legs and lower-arms are a result of keeping true to fitting an actual human inside, and would creat that hunched over, arm dragging gorilla look from the book if viewed from the side. Good range of vision, big feet, power-acutated hands. Would need the jumppack, bomber launcher, and weapons etc. added...just an idea! Any ideas on how the MI weapons would attach? In the book can't they let go and have them retract to their packs or something?

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jan 8 09 4:06 PM

Alternate helmet designs. Re: the MI weaponry according to Heinlein the weapons had magnetic attachment plates, so one simply placed the weapon on the spot, and it stuck in place until you needed it again.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 8 09 4:08 PM

This is getting downright WIERD! I just posted one image twice, and it didn't go through for some reason. I then repost a set of alternate helmets, and the first alternate suit design shows up! WIERD!! >;D

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jan 8 09 4:08 PM

NOW the helmets show up!! LOL!!!

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jan 8 09 4:10 PM

Tony,

about that waldo-mounted gun ala Predator et al, I'm aiming for a suit design that will allow the builder to either leave it "clean and mean" ala Heinlein's novel, or add some extras that will (hopefully) fit on the sprue to jazz the suit up, loading it for nuclear bear! >;D

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jan 8 09 4:12 PM

Logain,

one thing I'm very aware of is the entire issue of ergonomics. Methinks running around in a hunched over posture all day may have worked for some of our primitive hominid ancestors, but *homo sapiens* is designed to move about in a more upright posture.... even with a power suit around you, being forced into a hunched posture for several hours or even days would be anything but enjoyable, and contribute to user fatigue.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jan 15 09 11:09 AM

I'm having problems posting pictures as well... there where 5 pics and links above, now there gone, and with my text.

lets see if I can get this to work:

I understand trying to stay true to Heinlein’s vision of the ape suit, but really, I would think, you need to consider what is out there in the miniature’s world. SST made two sets of heavy, more Heinlein-ish mobile infantry suits, the Cougar and I forgot the name in metal, and then two more support units, in plastic, the Chicken hawk and the “Ape Suit”, which are less tradition, and more fire support. There not in production, but there are a lot out there in the world.

Here’s what I’d like to see:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/blacktemplar33/Traveller%20Art%20and%20Projects/th_1_HB000.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/blacktemplar33/Traveller%20Art%20and%20Projects/th_1_LBD000.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/blacktemplar33/Traveller%20Art%20and%20Projects/th_1_b003.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/blacktemplar33/Traveller%20Art%20and%20Projects/th_1_b202.jpg

Then finally, the guy on the right,

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/blacktemplar33/Traveller%20Art%20and%20Projects/th_1_Rebellion.jpg

Personally, I would like to see, what I have linked of course, but really I also want to support something that has a chance of being made. It’s really hard, or at least it would be easier, to motivate people to get on board with a design so nebulous.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 15 09 9:17 PM

The power armor in the links looks good, but I would have to agree that the weapons look over-sized. The traveler style armor is something I would prefer to see.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jan 15 09 9:58 PM

About those big guns, one angle is that the whole purpose of powered armour is to enhance the strength of the wearer, thus allowing the suit driver to handle more powerful weaponry with the ease of a regular grunt in a flak vest managing his assault rifle. 

So IMHO a powered armour trooper hefting a weapon with a .50 cal. bore that can stop a Mack truck is just par for the course for a suit driver, while a regular light infantry grunt has all he or she can do to manage their 5.56mm assault rifle, ammo, and kit and stay functioning for enough hours under battlefield conditions to collect all that accumulated back pay...

Nice Traveller suits BTW.... 

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jan 16 09 6:15 AM

You haven't met some of the former military guys I hang out with.

What's the good of owning a mace if you're not allowed to use it? -Sidney Bruhl "Deathtrap"

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jan 16 09 12:11 PM

"You haven't met some of the former military guys I hang out with. "

Hehegrin, perhaps, but I have met my own share, starting with my Dad (WW2 USMC) and Uncles (Army, ETO, 3rd Army, CFO, USAAC, et al), family friends (US Army, USMC, 14e RCP, et al), and acquaintances (USMC, Red Army (WW2), et al). wink

All teasing aside, IMHO a powered armour suit won't necessarily be the invincible one-man tank division of the comic books, but it will be something that a platoon of light infantry types will not relish going head-to-head with nor take lightly when forced to do so. light infantry versus powered armour the way I envision it, is a matter of the footsloggers managing to get enough firepower on target all together to distract the suit driver long enough for the dude/dudette with the anti-armour launcher to get a telling shot in edgewise! devil

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help