Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jan 16 09 2:58 PM

I saw this link in a discusion on TMP
[url]
there are some mock ups of power armoured suits from 2:20 onwards.

-olaf

Even the suits at the beginning would be quite interesting... more exposed, with open wiring and pistons. That would certainly be unique to field a 'squad' of these! Kind of like the Matrix 3, but cooler.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Jan 17 09 7:28 PM

Now I'm getting an idea.... of starting with a streamlined basic suit figure, with the sprue being loaded down with enough extras and alternate head styles and weaponry that one could add on as much extra armour plates, etc, to bulk the suit up from a streamlined style such as in my original sketch, to something downright hefty that looks like a one-man tank.

Hmmmm... where's my sketchpad?!devil

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jan 24 09 4:52 AM

Well.... all these images certainly look "generic", in the sense of being bland, unremarkable & corresponding to the zero-degree idea many hard sci-fi fans have of what future amoured soldiers would look like. That is not necessarily a bad thing, maybe it will help sell the miniatures :-)
But none of them remind me of Heinlein's powered armour. I've always imagined it as clunky & retro looking, not the relatively sleek bodyfitting robocop or star wars trooper design people have been posting. More something like this:

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jan 26 09 5:05 PM

Tinkatonka,

Yes, I am an old Dorvac fan as well; anime in general, in fact.  I always did like the look of the basic Dorvac human power suits, all business-like and hefty-armoured in style.

I'm still ruminating over Phase II of my design efforts whenever I come up for air from my studies...

Leland R. Erickson, Evil-Genius-at-Large "Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jan 27 09 9:57 AM

tinka,

well, I *did* say I was drawing from Heinlein's *written* descriptions of MI looking like a "hydrocephalic ape," so I was thinking my first suit concept was going to look "in person" like a person *inside* a suit of fairly thick armour...devil

We'll just keep hammerin' on this 'til we get it right....grin

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jan 27 09 11:44 PM

I've always imagined them to be gorilla-like in stature, that is big, hulky, with hunched shoulders. You know, kind of a Bioshock Big Daddy or full metal ogre feel. Your designs are a bit too much a person in a suit of armour, they make me think of knights with guns :-)

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jan 28 09 11:08 AM

Ya know, Tink, the more I *tink* on this, I'm inclined to agree with you, and start altering the proposed design accordingly.... neutral

Always did like Dorvac suits...devil

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jan 31 09 9:28 AM

I just found out about this submission to WF, and am very excited!  I have been searching for SST style power armor for a while now, and have already pre-ordered several of these sprues.
I really like the idea of a "retro sci-fi" powered armor suit (ala Fallout), just stay away from anime and 40K...
Keep up the great work!

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jan 31 09 10:31 PM

angus,

welcome to Hell.devil

Glad you like the initial concepts; more will follow shortly...wink

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Feb 11 09 9:29 AM

Saw 'em, like the concept idea, as I've been fielding futureistic Islamic forces for circa 30 years now, staring with a colonial faction (Ajad Republic) with the old Starguard game (still have my figures and kitbashed hovercraft BTW).... 

Gotta get out from under this pile of graduate studies work and get back to concept sketches...devil

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Feb 11 09 10:04 AM

Hrrm... I like the first one and the third one. Second one? Not so much. A bit too retro. When I heard they were going to be like Heinlein's description, I thought of them as the ones from the graphic novel, more "mecha-like", but not so "mecha-like" as to be overwhelming...
Like this. Literally like a giant, steel gorilla. Of course, we'd have to switch it up, make it different. But it needs to be bulkier, in my opinion, so it looks more like its being "piloted" instead of "worn", if you get what I mean?

Here's some more stuff...

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 11 09 11:02 AM

Well, they're definitely in the right direction. A bit too cliché 1980s japanimation for me, but at least they're heavy & not knights with guns. Which is the main thing to avoid.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Feb 11 09 12:38 PM

Actually, I kind of disagree. These are power armored suits. I don't really think of gears or mechs when that is said. Personal powered armour. Although that would be a pretty neat seperate submission...

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Feb 11 09 2:14 PM

You're probably right, "suits" does connote being worn rather than piloted... Hmm.

In any case, I think they still need bulked out a bit more, make them look like they've got armor that could actually stop a bullet. (Or an acid-tipped spine-barb. :-D) 

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Feb 11 09 8:57 PM

Tink,

like the proverbial plague...wink

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help